Hello, I am a senior at UC Berkeley studying computer science and data science. I’m interested in developing software for improving business-customer relationships. Besides technology, I am passionate about martial arts, architectural design, and landscape photography.

Design Manifesto:

• How did the design process impact the decisions you made?
    • I think the most impactful thought that the design process gave me was to think the in the perspective of the customer. I started thinking and asking questions: “What makes more sense for the user? Why should we take this extra step and change the designs?” For example, I started implementing more multi-step forms because it has been proven to improve user experience and prevent overwhelming reactions.
  • Were there limitations to the design process that you encountered?
    • I think with the design process, you tend to rely heavily on the people you interact with during the process, such as the users you interview. There were many moments where the range of users were just too biased due to their experience, or the selection of users to interview was just not diverse enough. This is especially a hard problem as a student because most of the people you interact with are also students at UC Berkeley.
  • What design methods (Links to an external site.) did you use and why? How did you decide? What worked and what didn’t?
    • Card sorting was probably the most interesting method that I used during user testing. I used it many times in order to compare and contrast certain design changes, such as a multi-step form vs a single page formed or a randomized choice vs a page of many different choices. This was the most interesting because having the visual and actual human interaction can bring about certain revelations that would not have been discovered with just talking about certain things on a screen without any interaction.
  • How did this differ across different modules? For example, maybe user testing with your prototypes was more illuminating in one module than another. Maybe the true capabilities of the technology constrained you more in one module than another.
    • With this final module, we had a more flushed out app than previous iterations. As a result, there were many different steps in a user workflow, allowing user testing with their iterations prototypes to be more illuminating in this module in comparison to previous iterations.
  • Were there some topic areas that were more challenging than others? What did you learn from this process?
    • I think all of the topics were well chosen and allowed us to have a very good time exploring and learning in each topic area. Friction was probably the most difficult one for me, because it’s a topic that I’ve never actively thought about and always taken for granted in my daily life.
    • Social Web was probably the most fun because of how applicable it was to our daily lives. I think I certainly learned a lot about the limitations of technology and design with different age groups, specifically older, less technical people.

Final Iteration:

Final Module – Design for Iteration

Idea:
Volunteer opportunity for environmental preservation
Target Audience (Users): 
  • Looking for volunteering opp 
  • In/out of school 
  • People looking for volunteers (Non-profits)

User Interview Questions

• What do you do personally to protect the environment, if anything?
  • Do you volunteer? How often?
  • What would help you participate in environmental preservation?
  • Where do you look for opportunities to volunteer now?
  • What are some things you look for when looking for volunteer events? 
  • Who are the people you like to volunteer with?
  • Who do you usually volunteer with? 
  • Walk us through your experiences when volunteering to help the environment
  • What are some pain points when you look for volunteer opportunities?
  • Is there anything about the volunteering experience itself that you would like to see improved?
  • How do you find out about ways to protect the environment in general?
  • What influences your decision to participate in a volunteer event versus another?
  • Tell me about a time where you enjoyed a volunteer activity. What made it enjoyable?
  • Tell me about the last time you volunteered. What did you like/dislike about the experience?

Interviews:

Wilson Wang:
Interviewee: 24 year old volunteer (preferred anonymous name)
Location: Online
Time: 11/19
    • I work on separate my recycling and compost from trash.
  • Do you volunteer? How often?
    • Yes. I volunteer about twice a month.
    • Probably an easy and efficient way to find opportunities, sign up, and have instructions to easily get to that location for helping.
    • Online mainly, there are a bunch of websites to look at.
    • Location, the cause
    • Friends or people in my community
  • Who do you usually volunteer with? 
    • People in that community
    • The bay area is not too focused on this area of volunteering so it’s often hard to find specific opportunities in one place on the internet. I think most of the time, it really depends on luck and patience.
    • The vast amount of opportunities is overwhelming and sometimes, all these websites don’t have the right opportunity for me. Also a lot of websites are very poorly formatted and it’s hard to use the website. I also wish that it’s easier to keep consistency with volunteer groups. It can help with making friends.
    • Not really. As long as there is good leadership, the NPO will be fine.
    • Online, mainly through the news.
    • Name of NPO, the location and people I will be volunteering with
    • I really enjoyed helping with a non-profit called Berkeley Food and Housing project. The people were so nice and caring. I really enjoyed the entire experience, from finding the event in 2 web searches to learn about the do’s and don’ts of volunteering.
    • The last time I volunteered was in the city for a non-profit called Lavamae. I really liked the cause, but disliked the lack of organization at the site. I think a lot of people were confused by the lack of information on the website.
Jah’rel Moyenda:
Interviewee: Request to keep name anonymous
Location: Gamma Phi Beta Sorority 
Time: 11/20 6:32pm 
    • I usually invest reusable products that I know will last long, In the event that I need to buy any utensils or whatever I need, I’m sure to buy things that are compostable/biodegradable. I always sort my waste, and I usually keep my sorority sisters accountable for throwing items in the wrong bin such as landfill items in the recycling bin. 
  • Do you volunteer? How often?
    • Yes, my sorority likes to stay pretty environmentally conscious, and we host a lot of philanthropy events in our community. In addition, I volunteer about 4 times a month with calpirg
    • I think having an efficient system that allows people to be aware of things that are going on, such as community cleanups, awareness on local trash buildup, fundraising events, stuff like that would be really beneficial 
    • I have a few friends in calpirg who share different things going on
    • I usually look to see whether the event is accessible and will be productive. 
    • I like volunteering with anyone who wants to make a change! The cool thing is that a lot of the girls in my sorority are very proactive about being environmentally conscious, so it’s nice to volunteer with them. 
  • Who do you usually volunteer with? 
    • A few girls in my sorority usually
    • I guess I can talk about one volunteering experience I’ve had. This was a beach cleanup I found on a facebook page once, I can’t quite remember which one, but I signed up through a google form and they emailed me the details. They really stressed punctuality which is something that I appreciated. Everything was organized and the organizers had equipment ready to distribute to everyone. The cleanup itself was a smooth process and was fun to do with my friends. We were assigned different spots at the beach to clean and were instructed to take before and after pics so that the organizers can post on their page. Overall, the experience was good. 
    • What I look for is usually good leadership and organization. I like showing up to events where everyone knows exactly what they are supposed to do. This makes the flow more efficient and enjoyable for sure. 
    • About that particular experience, no. 
    • I usually find out about different opportunities online like on facebook for the most part because I follow a lot of different pages. Other than that, I also hear about different opportunities through friends. 
    • Honestly I’ve never had an issue of multiple events coinciding. If I were to make a decision, I guess it would have to be a matter of online presence how organized the event looks, time, location, etc. 
    • The beach experience lol. I really enjoyed the people. Everyone had a positive attitude and it was a great way to meet others who care about the environment. I definitely like the community aspect in volunteering, and I wish there were more outlets to find stuff like that 
    • The last time I volunteered was flyering and getting people to sign up for my friend’s save the bees campaign through calpirg on campus, which was fine because I met a lot of nice people who cared about the cause, but there were also a lot of people who were standoffish or just didn’t care. I wish there were more ways to entice people to stay active and caught up on this type of stuff. 
Ashley Nguyen:
Interviewee: Co-Leader of a Co-op
Location: Phone 
Time: 11/19
    • He leads a Co-op who’s focus is to create a just and inclusive transition to renewable energy by enabling everyone to own and shape our energy future
  • How much time do you put into the co-op?
    • It’s his full-time job. So he is constantly working on this project. He feels like some processes can be automated or that he is wasting time on processes because the technology hasn’t been built out yet. 
  • What would help you get others to participate in your co-op?
    • The co-op is growing slowly which is good because the system they have right now is not sustainable for a larger scale. But when they get to that stage they want to be able to get the word out on many mediums so that eventually most people will be able to own their electricity 
    • Currently, they are looking for locals to get involved in the co-op. Most people learn about the co-op by word of mouth. Sometimes they’ll invite local residents to a meet up so that they can learn more about the co-op and ask questions. 
  • What are some things you look for in people joining the co-op? 
    • They are open to anyone who fits the requirements. Normally, it’s a long term commitment
    • n/a
  • Who do you usually volunteer with? 
    • n/a
  • Walk us through the process of onboarding a new member to the co-op?
    • They collect basic contact information from the person interested and then there are other legal papers they need to fill out to officially be part of the co-op. They can be a person that provides a place for solar panel or someone that wants to invest into it.
    • The onboarding process is all on paper once they need more specific question. Scheduling for that can be difficult and manually inputting information can be cumbersome when we get a lot of people at one time. A lot is about 20 at a time. 
  • Is there anything about the process you would like to see improved?
    • Automation. Easier for him and his co-lead
  • What influenced your decision to create a co-op for this area?
    • Passionate about people owning their own power. It gives them more say over what happens to it. Big companies like PG&E can’t choose to deprive users of electricity whenever they want like what has been happening recently. 
    • Loves to meet new people passionate about the mission as much as he is. 
  • Tell me about the last time you volunteered. What did you like/dislike about the 
    • n/a

Needfinding/Empathy Maps

Wilson Wang:

Interviewee Summary: 
Interviewee seems to want to contribute to the global warming cause but doesn’t seem to be able to easily find these kind of volunteering opportunities in the area they are living in. Decision paralysis is also another problem in regards to volunteering opportunities of other categories. They also feel that the technological support is poor and it’s often hard to use platforms. Also, for more direct impact, the interviewee needs to make the effort to travel, which can cost money and time.
User Needs:
  1. User needs to be able to find reputable environmental volunteering initiatives easily through a good, functioning, user friendly platform.
  2. User needs to be able to join initiatives that are organized, so those initiatives need a better platform for organization.
  3. User needs to be able to find a way to easily connect with old friends and opportunities in their area.
Empathy Map:
Says: The interviewee, in answering questions, gives reasons as to why they find it hard to sign up for volunteer events regularly. They also expresses her desire to increase their involvement in protecting the environment and using these opportunities to get close with the people they meet.
Thinks: The interviewee thinks that the current method of signing up to volunteer could be improved. They think that the platforms are often not updated or poorly designed. They also think that it’s hard to find ways to stay connected with the people they interview with. From their positive reactions, I could assume that they like volunteering a lot.
Does: The interviewee described their recommendations for changes on volunteering platforms. They also talk a lot about their experiences as a volunteer and how the location and people are very important to them.
Feels: The interviewee feels sad that they cannot reconnect with their fellow volunteers very well. They also feel joy with volunteering and feel hopeful for some changes that can happen to make the platform easier to use.
3 Problem Statements:
  1. How might we create a tool that allows for people to easily find legitimate volunteer initiatives in their area?
  2. How might we make people more likely to want to participate in volunteer events?
  3. How might we bring out the social aspect of volunteer events to allow volunteers to maintain connections?

Ashley Nguyen

Interviewee Summary: 
Interviewee is in charge of a co-op and found it difficult to efficiently onboard people. There is a lot of paperwork involved and as a result it makes the process really slow. Onboarding on a bigger scale would prove to be difficult if they kept the same onboarding process. The interviewee found the need for an online onboarding process so that the new member can fill out paperwork on their own at their own time. 
User Needs:
  1. User needs an onboarding process that will be more efficient and quicker for the new members
  2. User needs a way to be able to onboard many people with as little work possible. 
  3. User needs a way to reach out to the community of individuals that would be interested in joining the Co-op
Empathy Map:
Says: The interviewee talks a lot about the process of onboarding users and how they go about reaching out to prospective members. The interviewee talks a lot about the inefficiencies that are part of these processes. The interviewee imagines a tool that makes this process easier.
Thinks: The interviewee thinks there can be a tool that is more efficient to solving their problem but doesn’t have time to look. The more popular they get the more they think of the importance of this tool because manual work can not accomplish the growth they project to have in the future.
Does: The interviewee described their recommendations for a tool that would make it easier on an organization. Because the organization is not filled with money, there is a lot of labor involved in processes that can easily be solved by my help (either by people or technology).
Feels: The interviewee feels exhausted by the amount of work they need to do currently. The interviewee wished there was a tool that would take the workload off of their hands. 
3 Problem Statements:
  1. How might we create a tool that speeds up the onboarding process?
  2. How might we allow organizations to easily onboard many people with little effort?
  3. How might we allow organizations to reach out to more people who would be interested in the mission?

Jah’rel Moyenda:

Interviewee summary: 
The interviewee is a sister of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority who is very passionate about the environment and urges her sisters to follow along in living a more sustainable life. She seems to value punctuality and efficiency when attending organized events and volunteering, also seeming to value the social aspect of volunteering. She likes when events are collaborative, working together with many people to ensure the world is a cleaner and more sustainable place to live. She’s very proactive about seeking opportunities where the facilitators are knowledgeable and know what they’re doing, thus the interviewee needs to know all of the details beforehand what she tasks she will be performing, logistics, etc. 
User needs: 
  1. The user needs to be able to join initiatives that are organized everyone needs to know what they are doing, and the facilitators of the events need to be knowledgeable with solutions to problems. Having a collective platform with flushed out information on volunteering opportunities is a necessity. 
  2. The user needs a platform that is social and where everyone has a positive attitude. This makes the experience more fulfilling and is a good opportunity to make new friends. 
  3. Accessibility is necessary for the user. She needs to be able to easily access events on the platform, and needs the application to be easy to use. 
Empathy Map: 
Says:  The interviewee really stressed that there should be a social aspect to the platform. She prefers a stress free user flow and said that there should be a platform where she feels she is part of a community. 
Thinks: Thinks that there should be a platform where organizers can effectively communicate all logistical details in one place. Should be able to easily use the platform and communicate with other people. 
Does: The interviewee does her best to practice living a sustainable lifestyle and pushes her fellow sorority sisters to do the same in the house. She invests in products that are environmentally friendly, sorts her waste, and makes sure to buy things that are compostable/biodegradable. She also participates with sorority sisters in some of the events that she goes to + has a lot of friends in different clubs that host volunteering events. 
Feels: The interviewee feels a sense of fulfillment and joy when she volunteers or attends events where everyone is working together and knows what they are doing to make the world a better place. She enjoys collaborative environments where she can meet like-minded people. 
Problem Statements:
  1.  How might we build a sense of community for our users in the process of volunteering. 
  2.  How might we maximize communication between event organizers and volunteers to ensure everything goes smoothly and as planned. 
  3. How might we maximize accessibility for all users in creating a seamless user flow

Prototype

User Testing

Questions:

1. Sign Up Form
    1. What would you change?
    2. What is one thing you enjoyed about the process of filling out this form?
    3. What is one thing that frustrated you about the process of filling out this form?
  2. Finding a Project
    1. How long would you continue tapping ‘retry’ if you didn’t get a result you wanted?
    2. [IF THEY DID NOT TAP RETRY] Why didn’t you tap retry?
    3. What if your results looked like this instead [SHOW ORIGINAL VERSION]?
  3. Application to Apply to Project
    1. Do the fields of the application allow you to give the most information you want to give?
    2. What other questions would you want to answer? (As a Volunteer)
    3. What other questions would you want to answer? (As an Organization Owner)

Interviews:

Wilson Wang:
  1. Sign Up Form
    1. What would you change?
      1. Maybe add some recommended interests to help with choosing interests.
      2. [About the One Page Signup]: There is a lot of information on this one form and that’s very overwhelming.
      1. It was nicely sectioned off.
      2. [About the One Page Signup]: I liked having to see all the things I have to do.
      1. I wish there was a progress bar to see how much is left.
      2. [About the One Page Signup]: Scrolling was very inconvenient while filling out the form.
  2. Finding a Project
      1. Maybe a minute longer.
      1. The results were fine. I wanted to try something new.
      1. I like having more choice in my volunteer opportunities. If there were more options, it would probably be pretty overwhelming though.
  3. Application to Apply to Project
      1. I think that the fields are pretty good. I understand the decision to only include 3, but I think you should add some examples of what to write for more guidance.
      1. I feel like the describe relevant experience is too broad. Can you make it multiple sections?
      1. Have you had any criminal history?
      2. Have you applied to one of our events before?
Ashley’s Interview: 
  1. Sign Up Form
    • What would you change?
      1. Interviewee wishes there were options that she can choose from for the interests instead of a free form input.
      2. Wonders if there is a way to save the progress in case they want to take a break. 
    • What is one thing you enjoyed about the process of filling out this form?
      1. Likes the multistep form. 
      2. Less overwhelming 
      3. Likes to be able to see the progress of the form and how much is left.
    • What is one thing that frustrates you about the process of filling out this form?
      1. Not knowing what type of interests and skills are necessary or the interviewee thinks is necessary to put it on their profile. 
  2. Finding a Project
    • How long would you continue tapping ‘retry’ if you didn’t get a result you wanted?
      1. They would tap till they find the one that interests them the most or until they get tired.
      2. Wished they could go back to previous projects
    • [IF THEY DID NOT TAP RETRY] Why didn’t you tap retry?
      1. n/a
    • What if your results looked like this instead [SHOW ORIGINAL VERSION]?
      1. Likes this a lot more because then they can see it all at once and not lose their history.
  3. Application to Apply to Project
    • Do the fields of the application allow you to give the most information you want to give?
      1. The basic information is covered. 
      2. Sometimes for different projects specific skills are necessary and being able to customize the application would be helpful on the organization side.
      3. Need to confirm the applicant can commit to the time when applying
    • What other questions would you want to answer? (As a Volunteer)
      1. Asking for more specific questions regarding the project. Way of adding experience without making it free form. Aka using a fill in experience form. 
    • What other questions would you want to answer? (As an Organization Owner)
      1. Commitments 
      2. Information verification
        1. Criminal 
      3. Legal documents
Jah’rel’s interview: 
  1. Sign Up Form
    1. What would you change?
      1. wouldn’t change anything, likes the fact that you can include your interests and build a profile that is catered to you this makes the platform seem more personal. 
      1. liked how easy it was. had no complications going through the sign up process, and again liked the fact that you can add your personal skills and 
      1. Didn’t really find anything frustrating about filling out the form 
  2. Finding a Project
      1. Would keep trying until they got tired. can see how this process would be tedious and a little frustrating if you kept having to click retry to find the suitable result. 
      1. N/A
      1. would be more practical 
  3. Application to Apply to Project
      1. most of the basic information is covered 
      2. would be better if there were more fields so that whoever is reading the application can gain a more holistic review 
      1. not sure, would would want to answer fun questions so that you can feel more connected to the organizers 
      1. criminal records/history 
      2. compatibility working with other people from different backgrounds 
      3. identity verification and legal documentation 

Heuristic Evaluation

Wilson (Onboarding): 
  • [H4 Consistency and Standards] Forgot your Password and Create account should be blue to represent a link and not just text. Boldness does not help with creating distinctions. [S1]
  • [H8 Aesthetic and Minimalist Design] Maybe some more spacing? It looks a little cramped. [S1]
  • [H4 Consistency and Standards] Asterisks should be red [S1]
  • [H10 Help and Documentation] There are no examples of skills to help users. [S3]
  • [H5 Error Prevention] No prevention of incorrect values. You can type whatever text you want. [S2]
  • [H4 Consistency and Standards] Question marks for help are hard to see. [S1]
  • [H8 Aesthetic and Minimalist Design] For a confirmation screen, there is a lot of text. Maybe make it less consistent (add variability to allow for distinct sections clearly) [S1]
Jah’rel Moyenda
H1: 0 – the user is able to see vital information and status pertain ing to application. Is useful that you can see every application that you’ve filled out and filter them while being able to see the descriptions 
H8: 1 – would be useful to use more colors to indicate status. more colors overall would make the interface more visually pleasing. 
2.
Ashley (Profile and Browse)
  • [H3 User control and freedom] There should be a button to change the view of how the projects are listed. I.e. a button to switch between card and list view
  • [H5 Error prevention] Specify what the user should type in the search bar so that they correctly populate the projects they want. 
  • [H4 Consistency And Standards] Changing the type of input of skills to a multichoice input would give the user more direction in the type of skills they can choose from instead of making it free form 
  • [H9 Help users recognize, diagnose, and recover from errors] adding a validation error message to each input incase the type of input the user gives is not valid
[H8 Aesthetic And Minimalist design] Uneven padding on the sides of the cards. Makes the page look off centered and there is an awkward extra space on  the right. Should consider adding more cards per line. 
[H8 Aesthetic And Minimalist design] Adding more information to the card black part. There is a good amount of space and other important information can fill that 
  • [H2 Match between system and the real world] Making it more obvious that the user should not click or apply to the already filled projects 
  • [H8 Aesthetic And Minimalist design] Making it easier to read All spots filled